When a plan doesn't come together!

If I were to compare myself to a TV hero, because that's what I sit around thinking about (you know I'm joking): I'm torn between MacGyver (from MacGyver), or Hannibal (A-Team). Why these two shows you ask?
Well during our technology deprived childhood in Johannesburg, South Africa -which was home until aged 18- we spent very little time in front of the TV. For that I'm grateful, though some cultural references are still lost on me today.
I remember our very first colored TV that had a remote control. I was around 6/7years old and that was a momentous occasion in our house. Broadcasting only began at 3pm and went off air at 9pm. Not only did we have a limited viewing window but every day alternated between English and Afrikaans. Five American shows hit the local channel (notice my intentional use of the singular version of that word "channel"). Dynasty, Falcons Crest, Dallas, MacGyver and the A-Team.
The first three were aired past bedtime, however the latter two came on air before the news. Not only that, but my parents' best friends owned a video store. We were given a box of all A-Team and MacGyver episodes.

I learned to play the theme songs on the piano and ....oh, sorry, I digress! 
So while MacGyver was a creative genius who could solve any problem with a paperclip and a stick of gum, I was thrilled by the diversity of the A-Team. And when Hannibal would place his cigar in his mouth and declare " I love it when a plan comes together!" the triumphant soundtrack would begin. No matter how derailed and chaotic, jumbled or seemingly nonviable their plan appeared, it would in fact all come together in the end.

So, I do have an educational point here!

There is a family (new to the area). I've been teaching the two school aged students; visited their home a few times; taken them home after extra tutoring, dined with them, advocated for them in numerous occasions regarding school athletics, instructional supports etc etc etc).  And yet, one student is not doing his part. My assistant has reported that he flirts in class, doesn't do classwork or homework and just isn't pulling his weight.

Since most of my teaching experience has been at the elementary level, this attitude is relatively new to me and is driving me crazy. The plan is NOT coming together and this frustrates me to no end. At some point for this (close to aging out of school) refugee immigrant, the pieces of the puzzle will either fall into place OR they won't. Or perhaps the timing of his puzzle (vision of his future) will have to get a whole lot fuzzier and remain unfinished for a while.
Either way, I'll keep my bag of tricks at the ready and pick out a cigar with his name on the wrapper.....for one day, hopefully in the not to far off in the future!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the memories - and for sharing your early TV experience! Good luck with your student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a great job of keep all your students on your radar. They are fortunate to have you as their advocate and for holding the bar high for them. I'm going to ask a question here to ponder......What is his currency? Would knowing his currency help him engage more in school and drive a clearer future? Thanks for sharing! http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/feb10/vol67/num05/Start-Where-Your-Students-Are.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?